Q: I can’t find my DD-214, what should I do?

A: The first thing you do is contact the Register of Deeds in the county that you lived in when you were discharged from the service. They may have a copy on file there. You can also go to order a copy here: https://vetrecs.archives.gov/VeteranRequest/home.html.


Medical Care & Prescriptions

Q: I am in need of medical care and prescriptions. Can the VA supply this for me?

A: Each case is a little different when applying for healthcare. A 10-10EZ form must be filled out with a copy of the DD-214. Income questions are asked on this form and if your income is over the VA threshold you may not be eligible. 

If you have a service-connected disability, purple heart recipient, POW, in-country Vietnam Veteran, or if you can meet other certain special criteria you would be eligible to enroll.

HealthCare Disability Benefits

Q: Once I file a claim for healthcare disability benefits how long do I have to wait to hear from the VA?

A: Healthcare claims are usually processed within 30 to 60 days. Any disability claims, including pension and compensation, can take approximately 8 to 10 months.

VA Disability Payment

Q: How do I get the VA to pay for disabilities?

A: VA Compensation Benefits may be paid to an eligible veteran who has a disabling physical or mental condition that was incurred or aggravated during military service. The degrees of disability is determined by the VA and represent, as far as can practicably be determined, the average loss in wages resulting from such diseases and injuries and their complications in civil occupations. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbations or illnesses. You should contact your County Veterans Services Office.

VA Loan Guarantee

Q: How do I apply for a VA Loan Guarantee?

A: Bring your discharge papers (DD Form 214) to your County Veterans Service Office. They will complete a form and send it to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) office to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility. You will present the Certificate of Eligibility to your lender when applying for a home loan. It is important to compare rates, fees, and programs offered by your lender. 


Q: Do I need to make an appointment to see the Veterans Services officer?

A: It is preferred that you do schedule an appointment if possible due to the high volume of veteran client contacts and the time allowed for each person served. Please call 231-995-6070

Scroll to top